Are you a tenant in a DC rental property?

Is your landlord trying to evict you or trying to sell your house?

There are a variety of scenarios where a DC tenant can either purchase the property they rent, or request better conditions or other consideration in exchange for waiving their rights. Any time a DC landlord puts a property on the market with a tenant in it, the DC landlord has to give you an “Offer of Sale” form, which includes a right to buy the house, and a Right of First Refusal to match purchase offers from third parties. Even if you don’t want to buy, or you aren’t in a financial position to purchase the house, you should consult with a reputable DC TOPA attorney or consultant before you do anything else.

The District has enacted a statute called “TOPA” that gives certain rights to tenants to purchase the property they rent or leverage themselves for other benefits. It is very important to know the in’s and out’s of the law, as there are a number of convoluted and abstruse provisions in the statute that have firm deadlines and procedures. Hiring a DC TOPA representative is essential if you want to take advantage of these rights – whether it be forming a tenant association (in buildings with 5 or more units) to purchase the property or securing some move out money, or anything in between.

Brian Gormley, Esq. is an attorney licensed in Maryland and the District of Columbia specializing in real estate, probate, estate litigation and other matters. If you need assistance, please book a free consultation today.